Information for Visitors
Address & Contact
Chapel of the Cross
304 East Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Parking on the church property is extremely limited. During popular activities, we try to save the church spaces for those who have difficulty walking farther.
The best bets for parking are the adjacent planetarium lot and on Franklin Street. If those are full, there are several public lots on Rosemary Street. Town of Chapel Hill Parking is free on Sundays. The Morehead Planetarium lot is free on Sundays until 3 pm.
Directions to Town of Chapel Hill parking: From the church, go west on Franklin (left turn out of the church lot), turn right (north) on Henderson, then left (west) on Rosemary and look for signs for parking.
Traveling from the northern United States: Take Interstate 77 south to Interstate 40 East or Interstate 95 south to Interstate 40 West and continue from Interstate 40.
Traveling from the western United States: Take Interstate 40 east into North Carolina from Tennessee and continue from Interstate 40.
Traveling from eastern North Carolina: Take Interstate 40 west and continue from Interstate 40.
From Interstate 40:
- From Interstate 40, take Exit 270 onto Route 15-501, which goes south into Chapel Hill.
- At the fork in the road after the traffic light at Old Erwin Road, take the right fork onto Franklin Street.
- After the fork, go through 5 traffic lights.
- After traveling up the hill (after all, it is Chapel HILL) and going through the traffic light at Hillsborough Street and immediately before the next traffic light, turn left into the church driveway. The church is just before the Morehead Planetarium, which has a large, metered parking area, a rose garden and sundial.
- If you find yourself downtown, you have gone too far on Franklin Street.
Traveling from southern North Carolina
- Take business Route 15-501 north from Pittsboro.
- Do not get on bypass Route 15-501. Instead continue straight ahead over the highway on Route 86, Columbia Street.
- After passing the bypass, go through 6 traffic lights to the center of town. You will pass by a number of University buildings including the Carolina Inn on the left and the Ackland Art Museum on the right.
- After passing the Ackland, turn right onto Franklin Street and go through the business district.
- Just after the 3rd traffic light and the Morehead Planetarium, with its large, metered parking area, turn right into the church driveway.