A history of the parish, arranged chronologically.
1752 – The Church of England is established in the newly formed Orange County by the General Assembly of North Carolina. St. Matthew’s Parish is established in Hillsborough.
1757 – A one-acre lot is purchased as a building site for St. Matthew’s in Hillsborough. About this same time, a “chapel of ease” is built on a hilltop crossroads in the southern part of the county. The chapel is meant to spare more remote parishioners the long journey to the church in Hillsborough. The small log building, known as New Hope Chapel, stood where the Carolina Inn is now.
1759 – Additional land is given in the northern part of Orange County to build St. Mary’s Chapel, for the similar purpose of serving more remote parishioners.
1767 – Governor Tryon presents Scotland-born George Micklejohn to serve as minister for the St. Matthew’s Parish, and work begins on the building in Hillsborough shortly thereafter.
1776–post-Revolutionary Period – Anglican services are suspended. Micklejohn, a Tory, accompanies Loyalist forces at the Battle of Moore’s Creek and is captured. He spends the remainder of the war, by gentleman’s agreement, in Granville County and never resettles in Orange. During the revolution, the St. Matthew’s church building was used as a hospital. After the war, it houses the first Hillsborough Academy and, in 1788, the convention that considers ratification of the U.S. Constitution. The New Hope Chapel disappears during the American Revolution; the settlement on New Hope Chapel Hill remains, however.
1789 – The University of North Carolina was founded in 1789. During this time, traveling clergy visited, but a permanent Episcopal congregation did not form again for half a century. The St. Matthew’s building falls into disuse and its site is used for the construction of the Presbyterian Church (in 1818).
1818 – Following the formation of the Diocese of North Carolina in 1817, services resume at St. Mary’s Chapel under the leadership of lay readers and missionary priests.
1823 – Newly elected and consecrated Bishop Ravenscroft visits Orange County.
1824 – St. Matthew’s parish is reorganized under the leadership of the Rev. William Mercer Green. Land is donated by vestryman Thomas Ruffin, and Green becomes rector of St. Matthew’s in 1825, with oversight of services at St. Mary’s and another chapel as well. While rector, Green installs a slave gallery at the church.
1837 – The Rev. Green accepts a position at UNC as Chaplain and Professor of Belles Lettres, and he resigns from St. Matthew’s the following year.
1840 – The Rev. Green proposes the building of an Episcopal Church building in Chapel Hill, at the Diocesan Convention in this year. The building begins with pledges amounting to $1,200, but funds fell short and progress stalled.
May, 1842 – The Rev. Green presides over the organization of the Church of the Atonement, an Episcopal parish in Chapel Hill with fifteen communicants. The congregation continues to grow, worshipping in one another’s homes for five years as the work on their little church progresses. The building is constructed with handmade bricks fired in kilns on the Rev. Green’s property. The final cost was probably around $5,400 – more than double the original estimate of $2,400.
October 19, 1848 – Bishop Levi Silliman Ives consecrates the new church, which includes a wooden gallery for slaves, as the “Chapel of the Holy Cross.” He accurately describes the scale of the building by calling it a chapel, but declared, “We’ll name it for the deed and not the doctrine.” The parish numbers 22 communicants, 5 of whom are University students. It is the first denominational chapel that students are allowed to attend, rather than attending the University chapel.
1854 – Cornelia, a slave belonging to (and the niece of) parishioner and lay leader Mary Ruffin Smith, is baptized in the chapel. She would later raise her granddaughter, the Rev. Dr. Pauli Murray, in nearby Durham, N.C.
1868-1875 – The University is closed during Reconstruction. Attendance suffers, at one point shrinking so much that there are not enough [male] parishioners to form a Vestry.
1875 – Devoted parishioner Mary Ruffin Smith donates $100 to put a new slate roof on the Chapel. This slate roof remains on the Chapel until its major renovation in 1950. Around this same time, the Ladies’ Church Sewing Society – the first women’s fellowship at Chapel of the Cross, likely organized in the early days of the parish – also replaced the Chapel’s old, central chandelier with side lamps that were in use until electricity was installed.
April 10, 1880 – Christ Church Raleigh presents the Chapel of the Cross with its Chapel bell.
1890 – The Rev. Edward M. Gushee is appointed rector, a position he served for only six months. During that time, he undertook revisions to the Chapel using funds he personally raised. Changes included rearranging the pews to create a center aisle, moving the Chapel’s two heating stoves from the middle of the room to the ends, cutting an arch through the south wall to create a sanctuary for the alter, and the construction of a new office and vesting room with a fireplace on the southwest corner.
November 19, 1901 – The Vestry approves the placement of a furnace beneath the Chapel.
1913 – Construction begins on a new rectory.
1916 – The vested choir is introduced. In February of this same year, construction on the Battle Memorial Parish House is completed after five years of planning and fundraising, led by the rector, the Rev. Homer Starr. The cost of the one-story building was approximately $6,000. It contained a single classroom and a fellowship hall, which served as the dining room until 2014. The construction loan, at an interest rate of 2.8%, was paid in April 1918 by members of the family of the recently deceased Kemp Plumber Battle.
1920 – A resolution at the 1920 North Carolina Episcopal Convention calls for the enlargement of the Chapel of the Cross, to better serve the University community.
1921 – The Vestry, under the leadership of the rector, the Rev. Alfred Lawrence, asks the distinguished church architect Hobart B. Upjohn to design a new building to be connected to “the old chapel” by a cloister. Major funding for the new building is provided by a $50,000 pledge from William A. Erwin in memory of his grandfather, William Rainey Holt, who incidentally was a classmate of the parish’s first rector, William Mercer Green, at UNC where he graduated in the class of 1817. Mr. Erwin’s pledge is contingent upon the parish also enlarging and improving the parish house, linking it to the Chapel. A fundraiser is hired to canvass other parishes in the diocese to help pay the remaining mortgage (estimated around $10,000) but unfortunately his salary consumes most of what he raised. The payments on the mortgage subsequently require 13% of the church’s operating budget until the debt is paid in a Retire the Debt campaign in 1942.
1922 – The Vestry approves the addition of a secretary to assist the Rector. The secretary’s duties also included those of choirmaster and superintendent of buildings and grounds. Mr. George Lawrence was hired in September of this year.
May 12 , 1925 – The new building, now called the Church, is consecrated. Male students in the campus ministry resist the inclusion of female students.
1926 – Mr. Alfred Lawrence publicly opposes fundamentalist attacks on teaching evolution in public schools. At the Diocesan Convention, he introduces a resolution, which is adopted, “opposing all efforts to limit freedom of thought, freedom of teaching and discussion, and freedom of research.”
1931 – The Rev. Thomas Wright begins serving at Chapel of the Cross, as the first diocesan chaplain to college students in the Episcopal Church. Wright later becomes the national coordinator of campus ministries (in 1933) and then the Bishop of East Carolina (1945).
1941-1946 – During this time period, the campus ministry sees some shifts. With thousands of military personnel on campus for World War II, chaplains are kept busy. The Scopes trial causes significant tension on campus, which is felt in the campus ministry. And Diocesan events bring black and white students together for speakers and discussion. In 1945, the staff campus minister, the Rev. Emmet Gribbin, by then the rector’s son-in-law, respectfully declines the Vestry’s call to be the new rector, preferring to continue in campus ministry.
1945 – The vestry calls the Rev. David Yates from St. Philip’s, Durham, to be the rector. Mr. Yates was a virtual pacifist a rarity during and after World War II. He later successfully pushed for the inclusion in the Book of Common Prayer the collect “For Our Enemies.”
1950 – The Chapel is closed for a year after being declared unsafe, following discovery of major structural damage from roof leaks and foundation deterioration. A Restoration Fund drive is undertaken to pay the $21,000 repair cost, approximately half of which is raised.
1952 – The Church of the Holy Family, Chapel Hill’s second Episcopal congregation, is commissioned by the parish. Mr. Yates also racially integrates the parish that year, two years before the Supreme Court’s decision, Brown vs. The Board of Education.
1955 – A Planning Committee report calls for the creation of a new wing on the Parish House to provide additional classrooms and space for the college student program. A new campaign, called the Our Appointed Tasks campaign, is established to raise $184,000 for construction and to pay the remaining Chapel debt.
September, 1958 – The new addition to the Parish House is dedicated.
1960 – The vestry calls the Rev. Thomas Thrasher of Montgomery AL. Mr. Thrasher participated in the Selma Peace March and was reputedly the most trusted white clergymen by the African-American community in Montgomery.
August, 1962 – The final Chapel Restoration Fund drive generates enough funds to retire all outstanding debt.
September 12, 1965 – Church School begins on Sunday mornings.
1971 – The vestry calls the Rev. Peter James Lee of St. John’s, Lafayette Square, Washington DC. Mr. Lee, only 33 years old, and his young family again revitalized the parish’s ministry to young families.
1972 – The Chapel is added to the National Register of Historic Places.
1973 – Extensive repairs are made to the Parish House and the Church to address problems caused by leaks from the deteriorating roof. The successful Cornerstone Campaign, along with the sale of donated property and the use of operating funds, covers the entire cost of these repairs.
February 13, 1977 – The Rev. Dr. Pauli Murray celebrates her first Eucharist in the Chapel, where her grandmother had been baptized 123 years earlier as a slave girl. Pauli Murray was the first black woman ordained to the Episcopal priesthood, and she was also the first woman to celebrate the Eucharist at Chapel of the Cross and in the state of North Carolina.
March 9, 1979 – The Vestry adopts a resolution concerning burial of human ashes in the churchyard. Each burial location is to be unmarked and undecorated, with a common plaque providing the names and dates of birth and death of persons whose ashes are buried there.
1980 – Extensive renovations of parish buildings are completed. The church is closed for three months during the renovations, which included the installation of the new $220,000 Kleuker 61-pipe organ.
1983 – Anna Louise Pagano becomes the first woman ordained at Chapel of the Cross, first as a deacon and then in April 1984, as a priest. She remained on the staff until 1992.
1985 – The vestry calls the Rev. Stephen Elkins-Williams, who had joined the staff as associate priest in 1983, to serve as the rector. His 30 years as rector are marked by an expansion of the church’s ministry and outreach to the community and campus.
1991-93 – Among repeated calls for a large fellowship hall, new renovation and expansion projects are undertaken. The new slate floor in the Church is installed, an elevator is added to the building, the courtyard is enclosed, and the facilities are made accessible for individuals with disabilities. A stairwell is also added to the east end of the building.
1996 – An embezzlement of an estimated $500,000 is discovered. The former parish bookkeeper was indicted on his 30th birthday. He cooperated with the investigation and was later found guilty, serving a sentence of 11 months in prison.
2001 – A Space Use Study Committee convenes to address the continued challenges in operating the parish programs. The report underscored the need for a large fellowship hall. Long-range planning committees form to consider replacing the existing Parish House with a new facility.
2003 – The Church of the Advocate, an Episcopal mission of the Chapel of the Cross in
partnership with Holy Family and St. Matthews, is founded. The Rev. Lisa Fischbeck, sponsored for Ordination by the Chapel of the Cross, becomes the founding Vicar, drawing on congregants of all three parishes plus the unchurched.
2006 – The new Dobson Organ, the Opus 82, is installed in the Chapel. It is the first organ to be designed and scaled specifically for that space.
2013 – Ground breaks on a new demolition and construction project for the church.
To browse our history by category, click here.